Tuesday 5 November 2013

First time on the Potter's Wheel

When I walked into the door to Enrich, Katie said "Are you excited about the clay today Madison?". And I said "Yes". I had NO idea what she was talking about.

When it was time to do affective, Katie told everyone but the clay kids: Briana, Samantha and I, to start on their Affective. I remembered that Marie (the person that was coming to Enrich to teach the clay kids stuff on the wheel) was coming in.

When we went over to the shed, I was wondering what a potter's wheel looked like. I thought it was a big black like plate on top of a spinning cylinder. But no, it didn't look anything like that.

While Marie was making a bowl, she talked us through it. She told us all the tips and steps.
Of course we all wanted a turn on the wheel first, so Marie made us pull a number out of the hat. I was number three, which meant I had to go last.

When I hopped onto the wheel I had to make it spin flat out and throw the little ball of clay into the middle of the spinning plate shaped thing. After that, I had to make the piece of clay turn into a tall cone. To do this I had to hold my hands together like a tunnel and move them up around the clay slowly. At first I wasn't really good at it but now I've got the hang of that. Next we had to push the clay down until it looks like a ball of clay with an almost flat surface, while the wheel was spinning. It sounds like it's really easy, when really it's not.

After a couple more steps I was up to the fun part, shaping the clay into the shape of a bowl. To do this I had to get a little sponge, hold my right hand on the outside of the clay, and with my other hand on the inside of the clay bowl I pushed the sponge outwards.

I was finally finished. After I'd finished my first one I made a second one.

I like pottering on the Potters Wheel. It's fun.





No comments:

Post a Comment